Remember playing Duck Duck Goose when you were a kid? I STILL remember kindergarten and sitting on the blue carpet and the anticipation of being tagged “GOOSE” on top of my head.
Well, now there’s a fun animated movie to go along with that favorite childhood game.
Duck Duck Goose Movie
The movie is about a “troublemaker” goose named Peng who wants to do things the way he wants to do things. He doesn’t want to follow rules and he certainly doesn’t want to follow the flock. And, he always seems to be in trouble for . . . whatever.
Suddenly, Peng finds himself in the unwanted position of responsibility when he accidentally rescues two ducklings who now treat Peng like a parent.
The movie takes the three on a journey through nature and many adventures to find their flocks.
You’ll probably recognize some of the voices of the animated characters. The Duck Duck Goose cast includes comedian Jim Gaffigan and Carl Reiner, along with teen idol Zendaya and also Jennifer Gray (from Dirty Dancing fame).
Duck Duck Goose Movie Trailer
(Super cute, right?)
Duck Duck Goose Game, Lesson Plans, Activities and Projects
You may be wondering how the heck you can turn a cute animated movie like this into a theme learning unit or lesson plan or activity?
Well, the answer is . . . it’s easier than you think!
This movie pairs up so well with many different learning topics — birds, migration, games, nature, family, friendship, and so much more!
Here are some ideas for pairing this movie with learning:
• Grab a birdwatching guide and go birdwatching
• Watch a video about the migration of Canadian Geese
Use Nature for Bird Learning!
• Make a free nature journal and go on a nature walk to see what birds you can find (along with other fun nature finds)
• Take a camera, phone, or tablet on a walk and make a photo journal out of the bird photos captured (use the FREE version of PicMonkey.com for fun photo edits!) (NOTE: We have this inexpensive digital camera for my daughter and she loves it! She’s learned a lot about photography with it!)
• Do an online goose jigsaw puzzle (Preschool-K)
• Read and discuss Aesop’s Fable: The Goose That Laid the Golden Eggs
• Print and do a Goose Dot-to-Dot (Preschool-K)
• Watch a short video on “What We Can Learn From Geese”
• Use the Duck Duck Goose game to teach multiplication
Learn About Ducks!
• Watch the Duck Facts video to learn about ducks
• Watch a documentary on the mysteries of ducks
Have you added any awesome goose, duck, or fowl lessons and activities to your learning? If so, let us know about them in the comments!