I love a good homeschool holiday study lesson or activity, don’t you? Have you considered adding some Labor Day activities to your learning?
Labor Day is a holiday that little more than the long weekend barbecue thing. I mean, what is this holiday all about after all?
History of Labor Day
Labor Day is celebrated on the first Monday in September to honor American workers.
According to History.com, Labor Day became a federal holiday in 1894 by President Grover Cleveland. The holiday came about because during this time many people, including children, worked long, hard days in factories seven days each week. Not only that, the working conditions were often considered extremely unsafe. The workers then began to protest and strike against those conditions.
On September 5, 1882, 10,000 workers took unpaid time off to march from City Hall to Union Square in New York City, holding the first Labor Day parade in U.S. history.
It was later made an official holiday “to repair ties with American workers.”
25 Labor Day Activity Ideas and Labor Day Arts and Crafts
Whether you’re looking for homeschool Labor Day activities, Labor Day arts and crafts, Labor Day lesson plans or printables, or maybe some good old patriotic crafts or outdoor activities, then there’s something for you on this list!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: MAKE A BACK TO HOMESCHOOL CONE (SCHULTUTE)
- Learn more about the history of Labor Day in this printable from TeacherVision.com
- Understand the history of child labor in this lesson plan from TeacherVision.com
- Do Labor Day activity sheet from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Hold a lemonade stand and practice business skills
- Get a Labor Day writing activity from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Have fun with a Labor Day word search from Teachers Pay Teachers
- Do a Labor Day internet scavenger hunt from Education World
- Group homeschool project: create your own business from Education World
- Grab Labor Day lesson plans and resources from NEA
- Get a “Work for the Lord” lesson plan
- Get Labor Day lesson plans and resources from Lesson Plan Pages
- Download Labor Day lesson plans on unions from PBS
- Have fun with career thank you cards, hats, and puzzles from Education.com (good for younger ages)
- Learn more about careers from this extensive list on Career Kids
- Draw (or download) a paper doll and then dress him/her in different career uniforms like: mail carrier, artist, scientist, chef, architect, police officer, airline pilot
- Download and color this book of community workers where you can brainstorm on their different jobs
- Make a craft stick flag
- Create fireworks in a jar
- Download coloring sheets of community helpers
- Make a Five Little Fire Fighters painting
- Make an easy (but super cool) flag wreath for your front door
- Create marble fireworks
- Play outdoor games
- Make some patriotic popcorn
- Create lawn Twister using this awesome spray chalk