There are so many benefits of audiobooks, so don’t discount them as part of your learning!
Not long ago, I posted about how you can get free stuff in reading programs.
Since then I’ve received some messages asking for advice about if your kids hate reading or if they are struggling with reading.
So, I just wanted to remind you about the benefits of audio books for kids, especially if you have struggling readers.
Do audiobooks count as reading?
There are many different reasons for kids listen to audiobooks.
Even though reading books is different than listening to audiobooks, they both lead kids on the same journey: learning about amazing stories!
Contrary to popular belief, “reading” with audiobooks is not cheating on reading programs, especially if this how the child is most comfortable “ingesting” information from a book.
DISCLOSURE: Affiliate links are used on this site and may be used in this post.
PIN TO SAVE
10 Surprising Benefits of Audiobooks for Kids
Your kids doesn’t have to hate reading or struggle with reading to get benefits from audiobooks.
- Help increase vocabulary
- Help with pronunciation
- Improve comprehension
- Increase exposure to new things and different cultures
- Improve thinking skills
- Help with “decoding” words when they listen to the audiobook and follow along with the print book
- Improve memory
- Increase confidence and reduces anxiety (if struggling with written words)
- Inspires creativity and imaginary play
- Provide learning independence
Are audiobooks good for dyslexics?
Audiobooks can help kids with dyslexia because often these kids have an easier time listening than reading. Additionally, following along with an audiobook in the printed version can help kids who struggle more easily recognize words and decode, or apply letters to sounds.
Where Do You Find Audiobooks To Download?
One of the best audiobooks for kids (and adults) offerings is through Audible.
Audible is is the world’s largest provider and producer of audiobooks, so you’ll definitely be able to find something for everyone on there!
It’s a “producer of spoken audio entertainment, information, and educational programming on the Internet.”
How Does Audible Work?
Audible is an affordable monthly membership, where you get free audible books (and a ton of other benefits—see below!) just for being a member.
But, don’t worry!
You can actually try it out for FREE before you sign up.
(That way you can see if your kids are really into audiobooks!)
What Is Audible Pricing After Free Trial?
Audible is $14.95/month after the free trial, but you can cancel anytime within the trial period and not be charged.
What Do You Get With An Audible Free Trial?
• Up to 2 audiobooks plus 2 Audible Originals to start.
• Unlimited access to exclusive audio-guided fitness and meditation programs.
• The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Washington Post delivered free in audio to the Audible app every day—which are awesome resources for learning!
• Easy Exchanges. Don’t like an audiobook? Swap it for free.
• 30% off any additional audiobooks in exclusive member savings.
• Cancel any time during trial to avoid charges.
• After 30 days, Audible is $14.95/mo for 1 audiobook and 2 Audible Originals every month.
Also, you can listen anytime, anywhere with the free Audible app!
It works on all Apple and Android devices, Alexa-enabled devices, and even on Kindle!
Best Audio Books For Kids
There are many different audio children’s books available for a variety of age ranges on Audible.
Here are just a few examples of Audible books for kids available with your free trial (or membership):
Audiobooks Are Also Great Gifts!
If you’re looking for a great gift, consider giving audio books for kids!
It’s a perfect gift for all ages!
—CHECK OUT AUDIBLE GIFTS HERE—
You can give 1-month, 3-month, 6-month, and 12-month Audible gift memberships.
With Audible gifts, they’ll get:
- 3 titles for each month of their gift membership: 1 audiobook + 2 Audible Originals.
- 30% off any additional audiobooks.
- Anywhere, anytime listening with the free Audible app.
- Free and easy audiobook exchanges.
- An Audible book library they’ll own forever