You may be wondering “Can you start homeschooling at any time?” or “Can you start homeschooling at the end of the year?”
But, no worries!
We’re going to help you out and answer the common question:
Can you start homeschooling at any time?
If you live in the United States you can legally homeschool your child starting at any time. You can transfer your child from public or private school to homeschool mid-year or even at the end of the year if there are issues that are forcing you to make an immediate decision. However, before you start homeschooling, you need to check the home schooling requirements for your state. Homeschooling is legal in all 50 states, but the state laws and requirements vary. Be sure to understand exactly what is required by your state before transferring your child or starting to home school. If you live in another country outside of the U.S., you also need to check the homeschool laws because homeschooling is illegal in some other countries.
Can I homeschool my child temporarily?
You may also be searching for information on “Can I homeschool my child temporarily?” or “Can I homeschool for one semester?”
In some cases, you may need to pull your child from school and homeschool short-term.
People have many different reasons for homeschooling for short periods:
- Medical issues
- Mental health reasons
- Special needs
- Family issues
- Unsafe school environment / bullying
- Moving during a school year
- Road schooling, RV-ing, or traveling for a portion of the year
- Need a break from regular school schedules
- Natural disaster or other issue out of your control
- Help child get caught up on difficult subjects where they are falling behind
Or a variety of other reasons!
If you are homeschooling temporarily, you will need to:
- Ask the school what paperwork and requirements the school will need for your child to be enrolled/re-enrolled (once you’re ready)
- Be prepared that your child may need to take a standardized test or placement test in order to document their level/grade to the school
- Keep track of exactly what was studied and the exams taken during the temporary period of homeschooling (should there be any questions or proof of study documents required by the school)
TAP & PIN TO SAVE FOR LATER
• CONCLUSION •
You can start homeschooling your child at any time, especially if you live in the United States.
And, you can even home school your child temporarily for many different reasons and then re-enroll them back into traditional school when you are ready and your child is ready! (But, be prepared! You may find that you and your child enjoy the homeschooling experience so much that you want to continue beyond what you planned!)
If you have issues where you think that your child would benefit from one-on-one attention in the home environment, don’t be afraid to seek out homeschooling . . . even if it’s temporary!
READ THIS NEXT:
HAVE MORE HOMESCHOOL QUESTIONS?
Check out our homeschool FAQs and check out our group for new homeschoolers (below).