Need Earth Day activities for kids, students and homeschoolers? Get Earth facts and printables worksheets. Incorporate Earth Day activities for preschool and up, including lesson plans for elementary school, middle school and high school. STEM environmental learning and nature and science lesson plans and ideas to inspire and educate students.
EARTH DAY ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
Before we get to the fun Earth Day for kids activities, let’s start with when Earth Day is celebrated and more about the history of the day.
When’s Earth Day?
Earth Day 2021 is on Thursday, April 22nd. The Earth Day date is always April 22 each year.
What is the theme for Earth Day 2021?
Each year, the Earth Day theme is different. The theme for Earth Day 2021, is “Restore Our Earth.”
EARTH DAY HISTORY
What’s earth day?
Earth Day started in 1970 and is celebrated on April 22 each year to educate people on the actions we need to take to protect the earth and how to support the environment. People all over the world use April 22 as a way to show support for environmental protection. Each year there is a different theme for Earth day. For example, one previous Earth Day theme was “End Plastic Pollution.” There are events and activities organized by different groups to support the day.
How do you explain Earth Day to a child?
- Watch Earth Day videos
- Read Earth Day books
- Make crafts for Earth Day
- Color earth coloring pages
- Do worksheets about the earth and environment
- Sing environmental songs for kids
- Use our free Earth Day coloring pages printables (below)
So, what are some Earth Day activities for families and how do you teach Earth Day?
What do we do on Earth Day?
Here are 10 awesome ideas and Earth Day tips to celebrate and support the environment!
What are some activities for Earth Day?
17 ideas for Earth Day for Kids:
- Learn about environmental issues for your area and discuss how you can get involved to help improve them. (Go here to check!)
- Go to an Earth Day fair to learn more.
- Find outdoor volunteer activities in your area.
- Place a bee house in a garden of native plants to support plants for your area.
- Walk or bike for the day instead of driving to reduce emissions.
- Do a community service environmental project for kids earth day activities. (Need ideas? Go here!)
- Make sure you recycle!
- See if there are habitat reconstruction projects in your local area.
- Do some tree bark, flower, and leaf rubbings / Earth Day tracings.
- Plant a tree to help with oxygen in the air. Make sure that it is a native tree to your area or it could pose a threat to your local environment.
- Plant a butterfly garden of milkweed, pansies, and goldenrod.
- Install a bird feeder in your yard or on your balcony. Be sure to also include a bird bath or a small saucer of water!
- Play Earth Day bingo.
- Make kindness rocks.
- Take a walk and clean up litter in your area!
- Make Earth Day recipes, snacks, and treats.
We have more amazing ideas later in the post!
DON’T MISS YOUR FREE EARTH DAY PRINTABLE WITH EARTH DAY COLORING PAGES AT THE END OF THIS POST!
Earth Day Quotes
Here are some quotes for Earth Day that you can use for your studies and Earth Day celebration:
“Our goal is not just an environment of clean air and water and scenic beauty. The objective is an environment of decency, quality and mutual respect for all other human beings and all other living creatures.” -Senator Gaylord Nelson, original Earth Day founder
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -John Muir
“Look deep into nature and you will understand everything better.” -Einstein
“Earth laughs in flowers.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
“He that plants trees loves others beside himself.” -Thomas Fuller
Let’s get to the Earth Day ideas and ways to learn about Earth Day facts!
ACTIVITIES FOR EARTH DAY IDEAS
Earth Day Lesson Plans, Crafts & More
If you’re looking for free Earth Day activities, projects and lesson plans, as well as fun and creative ways to celebrate the environment, check these out for Earth Day activities at home!
Earth Day Activities for Kids Idea #1: Get Earth Day Lesson Plans
EarthDay.org has free lessons plans and toolkits, perfect for Earth Day activities for students grade levels K12 and teaches kids about the climate.
What can I do for Earth Day at home? Also check out these activities for Earth Day and Earth Day worksheets:
- Sing Earth Day songs
- Get Earth Day coloring pages
- Make a poster on Earth Day showing how you will help the earth
- Green Curricula and Environmental Learning Activities
- Healthy Earth, Sick Earth (K-5)
- Comparing Light Bulbs (K-8)
- Learn how to conserve energy and use the sun to Build a Pizza Box Solar Oven(K-12)
- Watch Earth Day videos like: What Is World Earth Day?
You can also create an awesome outdoor classroom to be in nature and learning about helping the earth!
Earth Day Activities for Kids Idea #2: Read Earth Day Books
Read The Story of Climate Change Interactive Book
Download The Story of Climate Change, a free interactive textbook for grades 5 through 8, from iTunes.
The Earth Day Network describes the book as:
“The Story of Climate Change is the first interactive iTextbook for middle school students. It is a new, active way of learning through multimedia to connect students beyond pages and vocabulary words into the practical applications of climate science. Each of the iTextbook’s six chapters includes informative videos, fun interactive resources, critical thinking activities, as well as review and discussion questions to reinforce unit concepts. Keep students in tune with the latest climate science and research.”
Earth Day Activities for Kids Idea #3: Decorate Bags for Stores
First, you get a store to provide brown bags to you.
Then, the kids decorate them with Earth Day pictures and messages and return them to the store to be used to bag customers’ groceries on Earth Day.
Earth Day Activities for Kids Idea #4: Make Recycled Plant Pots and Plant Seeds
Planting seeds is a fun and educational way to talk about Earth Day!
We made these recycled planting pots when my daughter was around 4 year old and had a lot of fun with them.
These cute DIY planters are a perfect project for the day because you are using recycled materials to make the pot and they are used for plants that can help the earth!
Earth Day Activities for Kids Idea #5. Bake Earth Day Cookies and Cupcakes
Baking projects are always fun, right?
These super cute cupcakes from Bird on a Cake are perfect for Earth Day!
Check out inspiration HERE.
If you can, shop from local markets who are environmentally conscious for the supplies!
I also LOVE these Earth Day cookies (and they seem SUPER simple!).
Earth Day Activities for Kids Idea #6: Discuss the How Long Until It’s Gone? Chart
This How Long Until It’s Gone? chart covers estimated decomposition rates of things thrown into our waterways.
It’s a crazy eye-opener as well as a conversation starter covering how long it takes for everyday items to decompose like:
• A cigarette butt takes 1-5 years to decompose!
• Disposable diapers take 450 years to decompose!
A couple of years ago, we went to a turtle rescue center in Florida and they had decompensation rates of different items all along the walkway to see the turtles and my daughter STILL talks about it.
It’s pretty powerful (and shocking)!
Earth Day Activities for Kids Idea #7: Play Earth Day Games
Host an Earth Day Scavenger Hunt
Get the kids outside and moving with this fun scavenger hunt!
Grab our free nature scavenger hunt!
Not only does it get the kids outside and exploring nature, but it also provides opportunities for discussion.
Games for Earth Day
Earth Day Activities for Kids Idea #8: Play a Recycling Game
A fun way to help the environment is to play a recycling game.
This recycling game gets the kids outside and also helps them understand the importance of recycling.
(If you want to help prep the kids, take a virtual tour of a recycling plant.)
Another “game” you can play is to pick up trash in your local park.
(Be sure that everyone wears work gloves!)
Take different bags for different items–trash, plastic recyclables, glass, etc.
You’ll be getting exercise, learning about recycling, and helping the environment: perfect Earth Day activities for kids!
Earth Day Activities for Kids Idea #9: Do Earth Day Crafts / Earth Day Art
Have fun with an art project or craft for Earth Day (or two or three!).
- Make globe suncatchers
- Recycled tissue paper earth
- Make a recycled bird feeder at home
- Create an Earth Day Collage
- Make recycled cardboard tube bees
- Grab sun paper and make nature prints
- Learn how to make earth-friendly crafts
FREE EARTH DAY PRINTABLE
Get a free happy earth day printable for kids. Click Here or on the image below to get the printable!