A virtual scavenger hunt is a fun idea to connect kids stuck at home (for whatever reason). This also one of those family activities and fun team-building activities you can file away for a snow day / indoor winter scavenger hunt ideas, rainy day treasure hunt, or other indoor activities. Grab our free printable virtual scavenger hunt ideas!
Have you ever considered an online scavenger hunt (or an indoor scavenger hunt for kids … except virtually)?
It’s a fun activity that works for homeschooling groups, virtual scavenger hunt for students and teachers, family activities, and other groups!
If you’re worried about how to make scavenger hunt, don’t miss our FREE virtual scavenger hunt template at the bottom of the post. KEEP SCROLLING!
Before we get to the free printable scavenger hunt template, let’s cover some basic questions that people have about hunts like this.
Scavenger Hunt Definition
What is a scavenger hunt?
A scavenger hunt is a list of items that individuals or teams “hunt” to find while competing against each other. Some hunts have a theme (like nature scavenger hunts), while others may just be a general list of items you must find. It’s like a treasure hunt!
How do you make a scavenger hunt?
A scavenger hunt is anything that you want to “hunt” in any location. To make a scavenger hunt, simply come up with a list of items that individuals or teams must hunt and find in that location. It can me at home, in a museum, out in nature, or even in a city! Some scavenger hunts are even online.
Scavenger Hunt Ideas Kids
Here are some fun scavenger hunt places for kids:
- Birthday party
- Family/friend’s house/yard
- Hiking trail
Mall scavenger hunt
- Online with each other (in your own houses) — like our free printable below!
- Virtual field trip destinations (online)
How To Do a Virtual Scavenger Hunt
How do you make a virtual scavenger hunt?
- Decide on a platform you want to use where everyone can connect (like Zoom, FaceTime, a scavenger hunt app etc.).
- Decide if there will be a theme or if it will be a general list of items.
- Make clear rules.
- Determine if you want to work as individuals or teams.
- Decide if you want to award prizes or if it is just for fun.
- Make a timeframe for the hunt. (Will it be 30 minutes? More?)
- Have someone not involved in the scavenger hunt come up with a list of items and moderate the online scavenger hunt.
- Distribute the list of items to everyone (online) at the same time or have the moderator release one item at a time that must be found before the players move on.
- Go! First person or team to return with the item or items wins.
You can also make a virtual scavenger hunt where you have students visit a specific online destination with a virtual field trip and have them find the items from that field trip.
For our scavenger hunt printable, we are encouraging kids to connect in their homes and find specific items in their homes.
However, you can easily make your own list of items or scavenger hunt clues for any place you want your kids to find things online!
You can also do hunts for different ages and stages. Maybe with preschoolers you work on colors and shapes with lists like find something brown, find something with an yellow circle, etc.
You don’t always have to come up with scavenger hunt riddles! They can just be a straight list of items and kids will still have fun with funny scavenger hunt ideas! (Don’t be afraid to make them silly or crazy!)
(By the way, you can use these same tips and ideas for scavenger hunt for adults!)
Free Scavenger Hunt Printable
We’ve compiled a digital scavenger hunt list to get you started. It’s a perfect scavenger hunt for kids at home!
To grab your fun scavenger hunt ideas, just click here or on the image below!
LET US KNOW ABOUT YOUR SCAVENGER HUNT IDEAS FOR KIDS IN THE COMMENTS!