Need snow day survival kit ideas or winter ideas when stuck inside? Whether you’re planning ahead for snowed in days or you need creative Christmas basket ideas, this is it! This will have your kids wishing for a snow day ASAP!
THE BEST SNOW DAY SURVIVAL KIT IDEAS
This is fun for a snowy day box, winter break kids activities, or if you need fun holiday survival kit ideas!
What should I put in a snow day survival kit?
DIY Snow Day Survival Kit Ideas:
- Craft supplies
- Card games
- Art supplies
- Movie popcorn or caramel corn
- Hot chocolate mix
- Snow day snack mix packages (homemade or buy mini snack mixes)
- Mini lights
- Snow day story ideas (Snowy Day book, winter MadLibs)
- Homemade food gift basket ideas like hot cocoa jars or cookie mixes in jars (takes the guessing out of snow day baking ideas!)
- Coffees / teas
- Small toys
- Scented candle
- Scented pinecones for the fireplace
- Mini flashlights
- Mini jams or jellies and breads
This is a great gift idea for all ages, but be sure to include a variety of items for each of the family members for a personal touch and a more customized gift basket!
See the full list of unique snow day survival basket ideas below, including how to make a snow day survival kit Christmas gift! (They make cute DIY projects for kids activities to put together for gifts for friends, too!) KEEP SCROLLING for Christmas survival kit ideas and fun survival kit ideas for friends and family!
What are snow day survival kits?
A snow day survival kit basket is a winter survival kit gift basket that you make for others (and especially cool if you need ideas for gift basket for holidays or winter birthdays) or even for your own home and includes family activities for snow days or when snowed in during winter storms.
It snow survival basket will help you keep your sanity during snowstorms, cold winter days, or during winter storms!
If you’re wondering how do you make a snow day fun? This is how!
And, it’s not just for snow days or the holiday season Christmas baskets. You can even make rainy day survival kits for different seasons or even warm days (like a warm weather summer kit)! It’s a great way to plan ahead for anytime you’re stuck inside.
AFTER YOU LEARN HOW TO MAKE SNOW DAY KITS:
You’ll also have fun with these snow day ideas, Fun Snowflake Lesson Plans and Activities for Kids,
and also how to make a Christmas Eve family box!
Snow Basket Theme Ideas
You can even make them as theme survival kits based on the family member’s preferences!
- Coffee lover survival kit
- Ski trip gift basket
- Nail polish and a spa gift basket
- Movie lovers snow day themed gift basket
- Hot cocoa gift basket
- Board games and cards basket
- Holiday survival kit candy maker
- Bottle of wine and cheese basket
Or, even by age, like snow day ideas for tweens and teens, or even a winter gift hamper for college students.
You can even use new year survival kit ideas for a New Year’s Eve party survival basket prize.
Use your imagination and have fun with your snow day basket!
OK! Let’s get to what do you put in a winter basket and how to make the ultimate snow day survival kit.
You can use any container for your cozy snow day ideas, just be sure to include a SNOW DAY SURVIVAL KIT label, especially if you’re giving it as a homemade Christmas gift.
Snow Day Gift Basket Ideas
I love these winter survival gift basket ideas as holiday gift baskets for others, but I love it as much for ideas for snow day activities for your own family. Make one up using these fun ideas and keep it hidden until you have a snow day (or even pull it out for a Christmas in July surprise for a great time in the summer!)
You can do a mix of indoor snow day ideas and also items for playing in the snow. Any of the following are fun to include with your winter snowy day kit and will make your snow day celebration ideas fun!
It’s one of my favorite make your own gift baskets ideas for your family or gifts for families.
BASKET TIP: Check your local dollar stores for affordable gift ideas, especially if you’re on a tight budget!
Here are fun and thoughtful ideas for a snow day basket!
Winter Snowy Day Basket Items for Kids of All Ages
Snow day basket ideas:
- Fuzzy socks
- Cozy snow day blanket / soft blanket
- Fingerless gloves
- Bread pan and bread mix
- Snowman plate or snowflake plate
- Amazon gift card to rent a movie on Prime
- Bubbles (blowing bubbles into frozen air or snow is FUN)
- Make your own snow globe supplies (get printable directions for a DIY snowglobe to include here) – fun to make handmade gifts!
- DIY Snow brick maker (or snow monster tracks maker for DIY funny survival kits items / snow related gifts)
- Friendship ball that gets passed back and forth each year
- Mini melting snowman
- Galaxy Slime / Unicorn Slime
- Snowman Floam make snow kit
- Indoor snowmen snowballs
- Story Cubes
- ISpy Books (best option for a mix of ages!)
- Snowy Day book
Winter Snow Day Food Ideas
Definitely include some snow day cooking ideas, food, and fun baking items. (What’s more fun than baking on a snow day?)
Food survival kit gift ideas:
- Sugar cookies mix and cookie cutter
- Hot cocoa mix / favorite hot chocolate with ceramic mugs they can decorate with stickers and markers
- Chocolate spoons
- Chocolate syrup
- Candy canes
- Suckers (or any hard candies make good survival kit candy ideas)
- Honey sticks
- Gourmet marshmallows
- Dried soup mixes and a couple of soup bowls or soup mugs
- Flavored popcorns (or sprinkle on popcorn flavoring and a couple of microwave popcorn packs)
- Juice boxes
- Gourmet chocolates
- Stuff to make indoor smores (with the recipe for indoor smores)
- Different Ramen packs and a Ramen cooker
- Flavored pretzels
- Honey butter or cinnamon butter with a bread mix
- Mulled spices (for hot apple cider)
- Different teas
- Mini chips and snacks
- Mason jar gifts like soup mixes or cookie mixes
- Hot chocolate gift mugs like these
- Recipe for Snow Cream (snow ice cream directions)
- Recipe for Snow Taffy (I think including snow recipes like this is super cute survival kit ideas!)
- Build a Snowman Edible Treats
- Sandwich cutters for fun snow day lunch ideas
- Fruit roll-ups / gummy snacks
- Cute winter cookie cutters to make snow day cookies
- Nutella Dippers
ALSO CHECK OUT:
Snow Day Survival Kit Games
These are great if you’re stuck indoors with a lot of time on your hands!
Survival kits gifts games ideas:
- Regular pack of cards and dice (to make up games!)
- Video games
- Elf Snowball Show down card game
- Frosty the Snowman Follow The Leader Game
- Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza
- Tenzie (a favorite family game!)
- SkipBo (this has been our go-to game for YEARS!) (get this cheap bundle with SkipBo and Uno)
- Taco vs Burrito
- Deer In Headlights (this is another game that has staying power for years in our family!)
- Exploding Kittens
- 6-in-1 Card Game Pack
Or, any similar items that your family loves can go in survival gift baskets for others!
Snow Day Craft Ideas
Craft survival kit present ideas:
Snow Day Ideas For Toddlers / Snow Day Ideas for Preschool
Don’t forget about young children with your make your own Christmas gift baskets!
- Wood puzzles
- Christmas pompoms
- Crayons and coloring books
- Winter sticker books
- Warm blanket
- Fun cozy socks or footed pajamas
- Build a felt snowman kit
- Winter sensory bin items
Snow Day Ideas for Tweens and Teens
If you want to build a cool emergency snow day kit for teens and tweens or different snow day ideas for kids, make a TikTok Gift Basket! It’s a fun way for them to pass the time when stuck inside!
TikTok Gift Basket Ideas / Snow Day Gadgets for Teenagers:
- Selfie Stick
- Ring Light
- Color changing lighting
- TikTok photo booth props
- Portable chargers (in case electricity goes out!)
This might also be fun on a snowy day for tweens and teens: TikTok Sleepover Ideas
Snow Day Emergency Kit Items
Remember, sometimes snow days also mean that the electricity is off. It doesn’t hurt to include some emergency snow day items in your basket!
DIY basket for emergencies / survival tools DIY basket:
- Headlamps (we use these as gifts for gift baskets all the time and they’re always a huge hit!)
- Mini flashlights
- Glow Sticks (can be used to light up hallways or for fun play)
- Mini lights in jars
- Hand and feet warmers for cold weather
- Light up gloves (not only fun for dance parties and play, but helps see!)
- Kitchen utensils like a hand can opener for soups
- Good cup (like a camping cup is a good idea) that can be heated over a fire if the electricity is off
- Sterno or even an emergency compact stove like this for a hot meal or a cup of hot cocoa when the electricity is out! (It’s just a great thing for anyone to have for emergency situations / survival pack gift ideas!)
Have fun with these snowy day great ideas and ways to have fun on a cold day at home!