Snow day activities can make even the worst snowy day fun for kids. Check out these ideas for winter activities and how to make use of snow with indoor and outdoor fun for kids during a family snow day. Great winter boredom buster ideas and awesome way to have fun with snowy days or things to do when snowed in!
Fun Snow Day Activities For Kids Stuck At Home (What To Do On A Snowy Day)
A snow day with kids doesn’t have to be a stressful time stuck at home inside! You can have a great time with the whole family with these winter ideas on snow school closure days or even on winter break. They’re a fun way to get the kids outside in the snow into the fresh air and get rid of some cabin fever!
What can you do with kids on a cold day?
What to do on snowy day:
- Have winter nature scavenger hunts
- Look for animal tracks in the store
- Drink hot cocoa and read a good book aloud
- Paint in the snow with food coloring and a spray bottle
- Make snow ice cream with fresh snow
- Create with arts and crafts
- Have an indoor picnic with fun finger foods
- Make a snow fort
- Read The Snowy Day book
- Make crafts with snow
- Play snow themed games
- Create silly faces in the snow
- Color in coloring books by candlelight
- Make snow cones with real snow
- Make a track and play with toy cars and trucks
- Play with sand toys to make shapes in the snow
- Make snow taffy suckers
- Create a snow sensory table and ice activities (great for fine motor skills or toddlers and snow day activities for preschoolers!)
- Make an indoor blanket fort
- Create with play dough
- Make snowy day food ideas (great activity ideas below)
- Find a farm that is tapping pure maple syrup and visit it
- Relax on the screen time restrictions and allow them to have extra time for video games
- Go sledding or snow tubing
- Watch the Polar Express movie
- Make a snowy city with shaving cream and play people
- Do a snow scavenger hunt
- Have a snowball fight
- Have an indoor snowballs fight
- Search online for snow day activities near me
See more fun activities for snow days below. KEEP SCROLLING for more snow day fun and creative snow day activities — from things to do inside on a snowy day, boredom busters, and snowing day fun outside when you’re wondering what to do in the snow.
Things to Build in the Snow
Outdoor fun activity ideas to build in the snow:
- Snowman / snow people
- Easter Island snow heads
- Snow castle
- Snow fort
- Snow race tracks
- Snow ramp for playing cars and trucks
- Snow sculptures
- Snow maze
- Snow animals
Let us know your favorite fun things to do on a snowy day for building and we’ll add them here!
BONUS POINTS: TO PREPARE FOR NEXT SNOW DAY, BE SURE TO CREATE A WINTER SNOW SURVIVAL KIT FOR KIDS LIKE THE ONE HERE!
(Great ideas for what to do when snowed in!)
What is a snow day?
A snow day is when you are stuck at home because of inclement weather do to snow. Because of this, it is usually safer to stay at home than go out and schools and some businesses may be closed.
Do homeschoolers get snow days?
Yes! When a snowstorm happens, you can have a homeschool snow day! Giving your homeschoolers a snow day is a fun winter treat and a nice break to have fun in the cold weather and either plan outdoor snow activities or fun indoor activities.
You can make homeschool snowy days fun and also have educational things to do for a snow day!
Make winter bucket lists and fun things to do in the snow ahead of time and then check off the list of snow day ideas on cold days!
ALSO CHECK OUT THESE WINTER BLOG POSTS AND MORE SNOW THEMED ACTIVITIES:
(More how to make a snow day fun ideas!)
Here are outdoor snow day activities and more ideas when kids want to go outside and play in the snow or snuggle down inside on a cold day — enough to fill a fun snow day bucket list!
What is the best thing to do on a snow day?
Best Ideas for Snow Day Activities: Fun Things To Do On A Snow Day Indoors
Need winter ideas for kids inside and easy activities to keep kids from getting bored? You’ll have so much fun with these kids activities and list of things for winter storms — great for little kids to older kids and even snow day activities for adults!
Let’s start with things to do inside on a snow day…
Indoor Snow Day Activities (Winter Day Kids Activities):
- Sleep in and have a pajama day
- Have an indoor campout in the living room with a tent and twinkly lights (fun for sleepover activities for the snowy day!)
- Play balloon volleyball or balloon tennis
- Grab paper plates and play the snowman game
- Have a dance party with your favorite songs for fun snow day music activities
- Make snow day crafts
- Learn about the Winter Solstice
- Do snow science experiments
- Eat snow ice cream (homemade ice cream from snow!)
- Use these for indoor snow ball fights (clear a space for an indoor snowball fight!)
- Make snow taffy for another fun indoor snow recipe
- Make a bird feeder
- Have a Zoom online scavenger hunt with other friends stuck at home (perfect for virtual snow day activities!)
- Host an online sleepover (another one that’s fun for online snow day activities)
- Make indoor s’mores
- Play board games for fun quality time
- Let kids have a virtual playdate
- Do puzzles (this brand is one of our favs!)
- Watch favorite movies
- Bake bread or cookies (snow days are a perfect time to bake!)
- Make homemade hot chocolate (great for snowy day activities after being outdoors)
- Want indoor winter activities for toddlers? Put snow in a bin or bowl and let them play with melting snow!
Let us know what to do on a snow day inside at your house and we’ll add them to our list.
Now let’s get to the snow day activities outside…
Snow Day Activities: What To Do On A Snowy Day Outside
Want to head out in the snow? Try these snow day outdoor activities for outdoor snow play good for small children to older children! Fun things to do in the snow at home!
Things to do at home in the winter outside:
- Want creative things to do in the snow? Paint in the snow and make snow day art (You can also make easy snow paint with water and food coloring – fun for preschool snow day activities and all ages!)
- Fill a squirt bottle with food coloring and colored water and make snow pictures (Young kids love this and great for toddler snow day activities! No paint brush needed! — favorite fun things to do with snow!)
- Hang homemade popcorn and berry garland for birds
- Go on a winter hike in the snow
- Shovel a neighbor’s driveway or sidewalk (great snow day activities for students for service projects!)
- Have a bonfire and roast marshmallows (fun things to do in snow!)
- Do a snow obstacle course
- Have kids make up a snow day game
- Play freeze tag
- Make snow angels
- Use kitchen utensils, a large bowl, cookie sheet, and other household items to make a pretend snow restaurant
- Track animals with their prints in the snow
- Blow frozen bubbles
- Play snow maze tag or frozen ghosts in the graveyard
- Have a contest looking for the longest icicles
- Have a winter scavenger hunt
- Go camping in the snow
- Make a target and throw snowballs at it
- Have a snow sculpture contest
- Get quiet and hear the snow
- Create monster tracks in the snow
Have ideas on what to do on snow days? Let us know below!
READ THIS NEXT: Things To Do At Home When Snowed In and the Power Is Out
We hope you have fun with these fun things for snow time!