Snow day activities can make even the worst snowy day fun for kids. Check out these ideas for winter activities and how to make use of snow with indoor and outdoor fun for kids during a family snow day and boredom buster ideas!
Fun Snow Day Activities For Kids Stuck At Home
What To Do On A Snowy Day
A snow day with kids doesn’t have to be a stressful time stuck at home inside!
What is a snow day?
A snow day is when you are stuck at home because of inclement weather do to snow. Because of this, it is usually safer to stay at home than go out and schools and businesses are often closed.
Do homeschoolers get snow days?
Yes! When a snowstorm happens, you can have a homeschool snow day! Giving your homeschoolers a snow day is a fun winter treat and a nice break to have fun in the cold weather and either plan outdoor snow activities or fun indoor activities.
You can make homeschool snowy days fun and educational! Make winter bucket lists ahead of time and then check off the list on cold days!
ALSO CHECK OUT:
What can you do with kids on a cold day?
- Look for snowy day food ideas
- Go sledding
- Look for animal tracks in the store
- Drink hot chocolate and read books together
- Create with arts and crafts
- Make a snow fort
- Make an indoor blanket fort
- Do a snow scavenger hunt
- Have a snowball fight
Things to Build in the Snow
- Snowman / snow people
- Snow castle
- Snow fort
- Snow sculptures
- Snow maze
- Snow animals
OK! Here are more ideas when kids want to go outside and play in the snow or snuggle down inside on a cold day!
What is the best thing to do on a snow day?
Snow Day Activities: Things To Do On A Snow Day Indoors
Need winter ideas for kids inside?
- Sleep in and have a pajama day
- Make snow day crafts
- Learn about the Winter Solstice
- Do snow science
- Eat snow ice cream
- Make snow taffy
- Make a bird feeder
- Have a Zoom online scavenger hunt
- Host an online sleepover
- Make indoor s’mores
- Play board games
- Let kids have a virtual playdate
- Do puzzles (this brand is one of our favs!)
- Watch favorite movies
- Bake bread or cookies
- Make homemade hot chocolate
Snow Day Activities: What To Do On A Snowy Day Outside
Want to head out in the snow?
Try these snow day outdoor activities:
- Paint in the snow and make snow day art
- Hang homemade popcorn and berry garland for birds
- Go on a winter hike in the snow
- Shovel a neighbor’s driveway or sidewalk
- Have a bonfire and roast marshmallows
- Do a snow obstacle course
- Make snow angles
- Track animals with their prints in the snow
- Blow frozen bubbles
- Have a contest looking for the longest icicles
- Have a winter scavenger hunt
- Go camping in the snow
- Make a target and throw snowballs at it
- Have a snow sculpture contest
- Get quiet and hear the snow