Need April event ideas for April holidays for kids and April homeschool activities? Learn what holidays happen in April that are fun days to celebrate in April with kids and Spring theme activities for kids. Perfect for Spring activity calendar, family friendly activity ideas for Spring, and April activities preschool and up!
2023 Fun April Event Activities for Kids
Activities for the month of April are fun because some of us are experiencing the beginning of spring, warmer weather, and spending more time outdoors! Whether you’re looking for April activities for preschoolers, kindergarten, elementary or high school (April activities for students of any age!), you’ll find fun Spring activities and April fun calendar ideas to meet your April calendars needs!
What are some fun spring activities?
Fun April Activities For Kids:
- Learn about April’s birth flower Daisy
- Plant a tree
- Have a picnic
- Fly kites
- Have a spring scavenger hunt
- Outdoor sidewalk chalk art (fun for April preschool age to high school!)
- Focus on Earth Day (hint: search recycling event near me)
- Volunteer for a park or nature trail cleanup
- Look for cloud shapes
- Make rainbows for Find a Rainbow Day (fun classroom activities for spring!)
- Smell different flowers for April sensory activities for toddlers (or outdoor activities for April for any age!)
- Do some April showers art activities for preschoolers and up
- Identify birds (use a field guide)
- Make your own DIY bird feeder craft
- Have an April shower dance party in the rain (*if there’s no lightening!)
- Do an outdoor nature hike scavenger hunt
- Give your kid’s room a makeover spring cleaning
- Go for a family bike ride
- Make a fairy garden with kids
- Plan a garden (even if you only have balcony or windowsill space!)
- Play some outdoor lawn games
- Nature journal
- Start planning a summer bucket list!
Don’t miss the full Spring activity list, fun springtime classroom activities, and April calendar ideas for preschool and up! KEEP SCROLLING for activities for the month of April 2023 — a huge range of world events in April, national events in April and more for your monthly activities calendar (including April preschool holidays ideas / April kindergarten activities!). Great for April events calendar for educators / teachers, homeschoolers, and parents!
What themes are in April?
These are great April themes for school or your family activity calendar!
April activities for school age themes:
- Spring flowers
- Spring showers
- Baby animals
- Easter (varies)
- Cherry Blossoms
- Earth Day
- National Humor Month
- National Kite Month
- National Poetry Month (learn How To Get Students Interested In Poetry with Fun Poem Activities for Kids)
- National Pecan Month
2023 April National Days, Dates, and Holidays for Kids (Calendar For April)
What is celebrated in April?
Dates and Annual Activities in April For April Calendar Of Events:
- Read a Road Map Week (First week in April)
- Library Week (First week in April)
- Garden Week (Second week in April)
- April Fool’s Day (4/1)
- World Autism Day (4/2) (April is World Autism Month)
- National Burrito Day (4/6, first Thursday of month)
- Children’s Book Day (4/2)
- Good Friday (4/7, date varies each year)
- Easter Sunday (4/9, date varies each year)
- National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day (4/2)
- Find a Rainbow Day (4/3)
- National Librarian Day (4/16)
- Tell a Lie Day (4/4)
- Deep Dish Pizza Day (4/5)
- National Dandelion Day (4/5)
- Read a Road Map Day (4/5)
- Caramel Popcorn Day (4/7)
- Draw a Picture of a Bird Day (4/8)
- Name Yourself Day, (4/9)
- National Farm Animals Day (4/10) (I love this as one of those simple April themes for preschool!)
- National Pet Day (4/11)
- National Teach Children to Save Day (4/27, date varies in April)
- Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day (4/12)
- National Licorice Day (4/12)
- National Peach Cobbler Day (4/13)
- Scrabble Day (4/13)
- Look up at the Sky Day (4/14)
- National Dolphin Day (4/14)
- National Pecan Day (4/14)
- World Art Day (4/15)
- Jackie Robinson Day (4/15)
- Tax Day (4/15)
- Mushroom Day (4/16)
- Bat Appreciation Day (4/17)
- International Haiku Poetry Day (4/17)
- International Juggler’s Day (4/18)
- Humorous Day (4/19)
- Chinese Language Day (4/20)
- Kindergarten Day (4/21)
- Earth Day (4/22)
- National Jelly Bean Day (4/22)
- National Zucchini Bread Day (4/23)
- World Penguin Day (4/25)
- National Pretzel Day (4/26)
- Babe Ruth Day (4/27)
- Morse Code Day (4/27)
- Tell a Story Day (4/27)
- International Astronomy Day (4/28)
- International Dance Day (4/29)
- National Arbor Day (4/30)
- International Jazz Day (4/30)
- National Honesty Day (4/30)
- National Raisin Day (4/30)
- National Mahjong Day (4/30)
As you can see, April’s calendar is full of fun themes and ideas! Tons of celebrations in April opportunities and happenings in April — enough to play every day with a different theme!
Don’t miss more children’s activity calendar ideas and events activities by month:
Is April poetry month?
YES! April is poetry month and it’s a fun April activity you can do with kids. Have fun learning about poems and then creating and writing your own poetry.
Check out these fun poetry books for kids:
- How To Write A Poem
- Writing Poetry With Children
- Poetry Matters
- Sing a Song of Seasons: A Nature Poem for Each Day of the Year
April Themes for Toddlers
Spring Toddler Activity Ideas:
- Spring flowers crafts
- Picnic in park
- Learn about bugs/insects and make an edible ant house
- Look for new animal babies (on farms, in the trees, etc.)
- Color eggs for Easter from natural food ingredients dyes
- Go on a spring river stomp and look for frogs and tadpoles
- Play with Spring felts
CHECK THIS OUT NEXT: Fun April Fools Day Tricks To Play On Kids Or Parents
April Activity Calendar For Preschool
Fun activity ideas for a preschool April calendar:
Spring craft day: Have the children make a spring-themed craft such as a flower or butterfly using construction paper, markers, and glue.
Earth Day celebration: Teach the children about the importance of taking care of the Earth through fun activities such as planting seeds or making a recycling craft.
Easter egg hunt: Hide plastic eggs around the preschool and have the children search for them. You can fill the eggs with small toys or treats.
Butterfly life cycle: Teach the children about the life cycle of a butterfly through a story, song, and craft activity where they can make a caterpillar and watch it turn into a butterfly. TRY THIS FUN POLLINATOR CRAFT!
Rainy day fun: Have the children put on rain boots and jackets and go outside to jump in puddles. Afterward, they can make a rain stick craft using paper towel rolls and rice.
Earthworm exploration: Have the children dig for earthworms outside and observe their movements. You can also read a book about worms and make a worm craft using pipe cleaners and googly eyes.
Arbor Day: Plant a tree or have the children decorate a pot and plant a seed. You can also talk about the benefits of trees and how they help the environment.
Spring cleaning: Have the children help clean the preschool by dusting, sweeping, and wiping down surfaces. You can make it fun by playing music and turning it into a game or having a cleaning for spring party (link below!).
OK! Let’s get to some spring season activities and April crafts and lessons! If you’re wondering what do we celebrate April, this is a helpful list!
Things To Do in April: April Themes and Activities for Kids
April Crafts, Printables, and Spring Activities for Kids For an April To Do List
These include a whole range of Spring ideas for preschoolers, April activities for elementary students, and fun ideas for all ages! Try these April fun ideas and springtime activities for kids!
What children can do in spring?
- Get activities for April Fools Day (super fun activities for April fools day for parents and kids!)
- Go to the library for Children’s Book Day (4/2)
- Learn about autism and read autism awareness for kids books
- Learn how to color Easter eggs with natural food dye (great for April kindergarten crafts!)
- Plan a victory garden for Garden Week
- Work on road map instructions for students for Read a Road Map Week (great STEM activities for April!)
- Research the history of Easter eggs
- Do some Earth Day activities (and grab a FREE Earth Day printable!)
- Have a Spring cleaning party (for real! It’s fun!)
- Make a dandelion salad for National Dandelion Day (4/5)
- Make toffee caramel popcorn for Caramel Popcorn Day (4/7)
- Write a thank you not to your local librarian for School Librarian Day (4/4)
- Get Easter Egg Activity Ideas (games with Easter eggs)
- Learn about farm animals for Farm Animal Day (4/10)
- Play Scrabble for Scrabble Day (4/13) (You can even get the game for younger kids now!)
- Read about baseball for Jackie Robinson Day (4/15)
- Learn some Chinese for Chinese Language Day (4/20)
- Make chocolate zucchini bread for National Zucchini Bread Day (4/23)
- Learn all about Arbor Day and get a free Arbor Day scavenger hunt printable for National Arbor Day (4/30)
- Learn how to play Mahjong for National Mahjong Day (4/30)
- Write a haiku for International Haiku Poetry Day (4/17) (Grab this awesome haiku book for kids!)
- Learn how to juggle for International Juggler’s Day (4/18)
- Read about spies and codes for Morse Code Day (4/27)
- Have fun with astronomy for International Astronomy Day (4/28)
- Learn more about penguins for World Penguin Day (4/25)
If you have fun Spring ideas for kids, let us know and we’ll add them to our month of April calendar list!
April And May Calendar – ALSO CHECK OUT THESE FUN KIDS ACTIVITIES: Activities For The Month Of May (May Calendar Events)
What did we miss on our activities for April month calendar?