Need January activities for kids ideas? Our monthly activities list for kids’ winter fun will give you great ideas for children’s projects and lessons, snow day activities kindergarten and up, January homeschool ideas, and January school activities!
Creative January Activities for Kids
January activities for kids can be difficult, especially if you live in an area where you get cold and snow AND you hate that kind of weather! Whether you need January activities for preschoolers, January activities for elementary students and up, January activities for toddlers, or fun January activities for home, you’ll find something on this list (including January art activities and crafts!).
How do you make January fun for kids?
Ideas for January activities:
- Make a cold weather winter sensory bin (great for winter activities for toddlers at home and preschooler winter ideas / January fine motor skills themes!)
- Go penguin snow bowling
- Read about Martin Luther King, Jr. and have an Americas Sunday Supper
- Cut paper snowflakes
- Celebrate Learn Your Name in Morse Code Day
- Play the paper plate snowman game
- Make a snowflake sensory bottle or a snowman sensory bottle
- Puzzle together for National Puzzle Day
- Have a outdoor winter scavenger hunt
- Learn funny new words for Thesaurus Day
- Grow a snowflake for a winter STEM project
- Make homemade hot chocolate
- Play winter clothing activities preschool dress up
- Make an igloo craft
- Read Winnie The Pooh books for author A.A. Milne’s birthday
KEEP SCROLLING for the full January activities calendar ideas, January themes, snow activity ideas, and more activities in January ideas!
One of the best ways to create monthly activities is to look at special dates for the month.
What are the special days in January?
Fun January events for kids:
- January 1: New Year’s Day
- Date Varies: Feast of the Epiphany (Also called Three Kings)
- January 4: National Spaghetti Day
- January 4: Trivia Day
- January 5: National Bird Day
- January 11: Learn Your Name in Morse Code Day
- January 13: National Rubber Duckie Day
- January 14: Dress Up Your Pet Day
- January 15: National Hat Day
- January 16: Appreciate a Dragon Day
- January 16: National Nothing Day
- January 18: Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday (MLK Day is honored on the third Monday in January)
- January 18: Thesaurus Day
- January 18: Winnie the Pooh Day (author A.A. Milne’s birthday)
- January 19: National Popcorn Day
- January 20: National Cheese Lover Day
- January 20: Penguin Awareness Day
- January 23: National Pie Day
- January 23: National Handwriting Day
- January 24: Compliment Day
- January 25: Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day
- January 27: Chocolate Cake Day
- January 28: National Kazoo Day
- January 29: National Puzzle Day
- January 31: Backward Day
Monthly January Holidays
January Event Ideas For Kids:
- National Soup Month
- National Braille Literacy Month
- National Hobby Month
- Hot Tea Month
- National Oatmeal Month
What are the winter activities kids will love?
What can you do at home in the winter?
- Make a snowman
- Have a snowball fight
- Make food garland for animals
- Have a staycation
- Create a summer bucket list
- Brush up on skills with an online class
- Make stop animation videos with Lego bricks
- Take a hike or winter nature walk
- Have a photo scavenger hunt (indoors or outside!)
- Check out winter party ideas and have a winter themed party!
- Have a winter bonfire (don’t forget the s’mores!)
- Make a snow penguin army
- Make a snow fort (USE THIS!)
Winter Activities Indoor Ideas
Fun indoor winter activities or things to do on a cold day inside:
- Make hot chocolate
- Read together
- Listen to audiobooks or funny kids podcasts
- Host a Netflix Watch party
- Do build a snowman crafts
- Bake a snowman cake
- Do a virtual scavenger hunt with friends and family
- Have a virtual sleepover
- Play the paper plate snowman game
- Play board games
- Do Puzzles
- Use fun snowflake lessons for teaching winter (great for lesson plans for preschool January ideas and up)
- Make soup for National soup month
Fun Activities For January (Winter Activities For Youth)
Whether you need January activities for preschoolers, January activities for elementary students, or winter family activities, we’ve got you covered.
January Calendar Theme Ideas
Here are your January events and ideas:
Have you ever done snow painting? It’s a fun winter activity outdoors or bring it inside and paint snow indoors!
If you’re wondering what are some fun winter activities, this is it because all ages will love it — from a toddler or preschool craft January idea and even older kids winter ideas!
(Super fun for January family activities, too!)
Snowflake crafts are perfect January activities and winter craft projects or if you’re looking for snow STEM ideas. This is great for January educational activities and talking about how crystals form!
One of our favorite January activity projects.
Definitely add it to your January crafts ideas or winter crafts for kids!
Need Dr. King craft ideas? Try this hand ideas craft, which is perfect for January arts and crafts!
Great for January activities for kindergarten or preschool crafts January theme, too!
Definitely add it to your crafts ideas for January!
Winter is a great time to review your emergency go bags (or create them)!
We have full step-by-step instructions for making emergency backpacks for your whole family.
MLK Day is in January, so be sure to add some Martin Luther King Jr crafts and lessons to your schedule.
A new year is a great time to declutter, organize, and create real livable spaces that kids will love.
Think about adding a cheap and easy reading corner, then spend some time snuggling down and reading for January.
When is the last time you played dominoes? Exactly! Pick up a set an have some indoor family time!
Online platforms like Zoom are perfect for an online scavenger hunt for kids! (Get the free printable scavenger hunt over on the scavenger hunt post!)
Also check out: How To Have Virtual Playdates
Can’t get together with friends? Have a kids’ virtual playdate!
Being stuck at home can be fun! Check out our creative ideas for stuck at home, perfect for winter ideas for kids!
Let us know your favorite January activity days activities and we’ll add them to our list!
Winter makes being stuck at home or classroom time super trying. Check out our winter ideas for being at home and have fun!